March 4, 2008

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

Or something similar. It's that time again; time to order chicks. It's similar to seed-ordering (and those of you who have spent the past two months drooling over seed catalogs know what I'm talking about), but even better. Imagine: instead of slightly disappointing seed packets with generic instructions that always seem to lead to ruin, you get to run down to the post office and pick up a ventilated box of feisty, peeping chicks. You and the postmaster/mistress peer in, do the head-count, and then you are off to nurture the most obnoxious little balls of fluff you have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my chickens, but I endure the chick stage. The head-count always seems to involve a bit of heartbreak, as well, as not all chicks will survive the two-day trip. It's a good argument for ordering from a hatchery with a good shipping record, and for paying a bit more for expedited shipping.

But I get ahead of myself. I have not yet actually ordered the chicks, and like so many of my interests, the anticipation and preparation can be one of the best parts. If I can get my act together, I'll be ordering from Sand Hill Preservation Center, which, while not close, has an excellent shipping record (in my experience). I am so torn: buff orpingtons? mahogany faverolles? golden spangled hamburgs? Part of the joy of owning chickens (and yes, I do mean that) is exploring rare or heritage breeds. My salmon faverolles, an old French breed, have proven themselves as strong winter layers, although they are slow to mature. The ameraucana in my flock has a wonderful personality. The speckled hamburg looks like a young Alsatian girl, dressed in traditional black and white.

The chickens are slowing down with the laying, however, and it is time to stop doing the research and commit. Not my strongest suit, but I'm up for it. More to come, after I check in with the hubby to avoid marital discord over both more chickens and their price. But for fresh eggs and the company of a contented flock, it's worth it.

4 comments:

Dynamic Meter said...

Hmm. Chickens. I love the chickens. Really!

Dynamic Meter said...

Hmm. Chickens. I love the chickens. Really!

Dynamic Meter said...

Hmm. Chickens. I love the chickens. Really!

Danielle said...

X3!