April 28, 2008

Really? What About Fuschia?

I'm viewing my own blog for the first time from the screen of our "new-to-us" computer. It's a used Apple G4, and it's been about 10 years since I last used a Mac with any regularity. It's all so unfamiliar, and with a different screen, the colors and details of the site look a bit different. I may have to do some tweaking. Because, you know, I'm such a geek like that. Or not.

Anyway, we've also switched to a desktop now, which I actually like more than I expected. Our old Vaio laptop was about 5 years old, and it may be permanently out of commission. It was a lovely machine, and I wrote my graduate thesis on it, so I have a certain attachment. However, the drudgery of having to haul it out, set it up, and then (then!) connect it to our infernal dial-up was more that I felt I could bear most evenings. Perhaps now I'll start to slog through some of my backlog of items for listing e-Bay. My primary goal is to now do most of my blogging from the comfort of my own home, although the corner we have the machine set up in is a mite chilly. Or roasting in high summer, take your pick. When we purchased this house, we thought, " Great! New construction! Certainly it will be a more energy-efficient and well-insulated home than our previous, circa-1900 starter home." Well, we were naive. This house was built as if the 1970s never saw an energy crisis. Either that, or the original owners enjoyed fresh breezes, even when all doors and windows were closed. In the northeast, this can be a bit of a downer, and this past year we closed off the room in which the computer now sits. With warmer temperatures, it has become habitable again for the thin-blooded amongst us (e.g. me), but a return to what April really should be like has me rethinking the location.

Again, all of my well thought out blog posts have fled from my mind and fingertips at login. I do, however, remember one quite satisfying exchange from this past weekend. The Young Man was discussing his much planned-for pigs, and my husband was trying desperately to change the subject, to veer away from any discussion porcine. Miles was having none of it, however, and finally, exasperated, he said" But Daddy, you're a farmer!" To which my husband replied, with as much dignity as he could muster (and a bit of a plea), "No, I am an urban music hipster, trapped (!!!) in rural America." (emphasis mine). If only he knew what he was signing up for when we got married. The pigs, though, they are not my idea. I can only claim cats, dogs, chickens and ducks. And maybe the kids.

I just checked Gmail, and those targeted ads creep me out, every time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,now...I would think it'd be quite possible to be both a farmer and urban music hipster!Just look at Sting. Or something like that.

Ignore me.I haven't had coffee yet.

Dynamic Meter said...

Oink, Cluck, Quack. Oh my. My urban music hipster cred is on the line. I am just one snap-button shirt away from my muck boots becoming a permanent fixture on my feet.

Yes the animals were your idea, but I am of course all about the kids (just not there desires to turn me into Old MacDonald).

Danielle said...

Sting is a great example! Uber-hip, and probably loves pigs. Or isn't he vegetarian? Well, never mind. I agree, Rebecca, one can be hip and a farmer. Nothing quite like a man in a truck.

(Read that, sweetie? You love the snap shirts, admit it.)