December 11, 2010

New Post!

Well, that's what the Blogger dashboard said, anyway. I've been considering several options for this blog, one of which was to kill it off outright. Option two was to continue to ignore it ... it doesn't seem to be spamming anyone and I have a few posts that remind me of different times in my life or moments with The Young Man and Miss T. The third option will take me out on a limb; resurrect the blog and give it an identity. The lack of focus has always been a bit of a struggle for me. What to write about? If I'm tired and cranky at the end of the day, it's no wonder I lack the motivation to sit down and write a blog post about being tired and cranky. Thrilling reading, that!

However, over the past year I've become much more connected to the previously hidden car-geek side of my personality. Autocross has helped, and now that the season is over I find myself antsy, jonesing for a good drive, and a bit fretful about my first foray into motorsports. I'm a competitive person, and I do love to drive. It was hard to start out at the bottom, and tough at times to stick with it to learn what I need to so I can be better. Let's face it; if you're driving in grassroots motorsports, you're probably there to kick some ass before you go back to work on Monday.

And then there's the gender thing. I'm almost never the only woman out there, but close, and often the only one who isn't a girlfriend or wife of another driver. Now, several of those women can really drive and will post better times, but I still feel like a bit of an anomaly. I'm there for me, even if it doesn't make sense to the twenty-something young men who don't know how to treat me. Not old enough to be their Mom, older than their girlfriends, and not their boss. I do know what the engine in my car is (inline six, thank-you-very-much), what a turbo charger sounds like (weeeeee .... puff!), and how to drive stick. I also have a mortgage to pay and race my daily driver, and it's bone-stock for me right now, thanks.

So here's where I think I'll take this blog. It won't be obsessively about cars, because I do have other things in my life, things that I can speak to with much, much more knowledge. Kids, fiber arts, chickens and gardening will still make appearances. It will still be a mommy-blog, but with probably more than a whiff of petrol. Because to be honest, I know there are a lot of women out there who love cars and who love to drive. I just happen to be one one them with a corresponding itch to over-share about that fact. I've done some poking around and I don't see a whole lot of women casually writing about being a female motoring enthusiast or consumer. So I'll give it a try.

Next up ... my unreasonable lust for the Lexus LFA, and why I warn my husband to never introduce me to a local business associate who drives an Audi R8. If you're gonna make a fool of yourself, go big.

No comments: