March 1, 2008

I am Insane

I just wanted to be clear about the above, because I can't believe what I desperately want to type.

I want another baby. Despite the following very good reasons that this is not something I should even consider:

1) We can't afford another. Daycare alone would make us homeless.
2) I've been pregnant at least five times. Once with twins. I have two singleton children, so you do the math.
3) I've spent the last 10 years wanting children, and the past nine actively trying to produce on that wish. Isn't it time to move on to a new phase of my life? I think I'm supposed to take up pastels, oils, or brush up on foreign languages.
4) I'm still nursing, and thankfully, seem to be amenorrheic. Yeah for that!
5) See post below about spending time with the hubby.
6) I'm old enough to know better (but not too old to try).
7) Population control & global warming, hello! My additional offspring would consume far more of his or her's fair share of the earth's resources. And all of that other stuff.
8) It would take us that much longer to do foster care again, and perhaps nix that possibility all together. We weren't perfect, but we were pretty good foster parents, damn it, and someone's got to care enough to do it.
9) It might not even be possible (see items 2 and 6).

So, there we are, the short list of why I should not have another baby. There are other reasons, I'm sure, but it doesn't make the desire go away. Part of this foolishness is fueled by Miss T's utter loveliness. ( The Young Man is also wonderful, but he is no longer any sort of baby, thank you very much. Although, he is perhaps the world's best big brother).

Maybe saying it out loud (so to speak!) will help increase my resolve on this front. I have two lovely children. At times I did not think I would have any. I should be (and am) grateful, and if I were prudent, I would leave well enough alone.

Time will tell.

No comments: