January 15, 2011

The iPod Convert Returns: The Automotive Edition

I spent a year commuting in a baser-than-base 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 pick-up truck. So base, in fact, that it is a radio-delete model. After a few lame attempts at hooking my iPod up to a portable speaker, I gave up and just drove. The driver's side window has a tendency to "settle" as you drive, which doesn't help the interior acoustics. Just me, my thoughts, a little wind noise and the echo of a 160 hp V-6 off the massive interior engine bay. They were good times, in their own way. I still own and love the truck, but it is no longer the daily commuter. I've been pretty excited to rejoin the land of stereo, the CD, and an audio input port. I'm exploring new podcasts, and here are a few of my favorites along the automotive theme.

Autoblog
I was initially unsure about this podcast. So much time is spent discussing new models in the press fleet, with a fair amount of air devoted to domestic manufacturers pedestrian models (Jeep? Really? Please don't speak to me of the Patriot). One of the hosts owns a Nissan Juke, which in my mind doesn't bode well for overall judgement, or at least aesthetic sensibilities. However, it dawned on me that the podcast presents a decent reflection of the reality of the automotive industry. It's not all exotics and performance models. It is refreshing, nay, bracing, to hear an automotive journalist extol the virtues of a minivan or a crossover for its functionality and ability to serve the needs of a family. They speak of carseats and cheerios without sneering. There are very few "soccer mom" slurs, and I have learned so much from listening to the often circuitous discussions and cackling side-commentary of the co-hosts. There are some egos and stubbornly held positions, and occasionally they stray off into the quicksand of macro-economic analysis. These forays are not advisable. But a podcast would be dry as dirt without personalities that can punch through the medium, and pretty much everyone is confused about globalization and the shift from a manufacturing to a knowledge economy. The hosts have taught me what A, B, C and even D pillars are, introduced me to the concept of a "refresh," and generally are not caught up in the pseudo-glamor of some automotive commentary and motorsports hangers-on. They are clearly enthusiasts, but they know and appreciate the value of a daily driver, usable cargo space, soft finishes on high-touch surfaces and affordability. I many not always agree with them, but I like them a lot and find that I look forward to the weekly podcasts in with anticipation previously reserved for Cast On, Stash and Burn, and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. Who knew? Certainly not me ...I knew next to nothing about domestic production before this, and frankly didn't care a whole lot either. Now I think that I'd actually look forward to seeing a Chrysler 300 in person, or appreciate the finer qualities of a Traverse (maybe). The parent website is decent, but frankly I prefer the podcast for guys getting stupid about cars.

Carcast
Part of the sprawling ACE Broadcasting network, Carcast features the known motorhead and part-time racer Adam Carolla and Sandy Ganz, trusty side-kick. The downside to this podcast is that it is not safe for kids, work, or attacks of most reasonably sensibilities. I've never been that into Adam Carolla's shtick, but neither have I been part of his target demographic, so no great loss to either of us. With CarCast, though, Adam becomes the fan and drops most of the persona. (I'd say it's his best work). The discussions on vintage racing are fascinating, and Adam's interview style does tend to get a bit more out of the interviewees unless a rant escapes and takes over. I'm not always in the mood to tolerate gleeful male stupidity in my own damn car, but when my tolerance is high and my mood forgiving, it makes for a good listen. The car info is often pretty good, and it's nice to hear someone else apologetically admit their weaknesses in the face of an obsession that can't bear the scrutiny of logic (or a spouse). I wouldn't ask him for advice about women or politics, but amateur racing, mods and Datsun/Nissan Z-cars he's got down. And I like Sandy, too.

Bimmerfile
I think of the Bimmerfile podcast as a bit of boutique piece. It's obsessively focused on BMWs, and the approach is a tad patrician. I'm not always in the mood for this one, but if you want to filter out the other automotive noise and get caught up on all things BMW, I'd say this is the place to start. Downsides include some lousy (although improving) sound quality, the aforementioned country club vibe, and for now repeat mentions of one of the co-host's 1 series M coupe (on order). On the last item, I'm probably just jealous and I would have chosen the Valencia Orange. Alpine White does nothing for me. Upsides include a serious load of insider information, a clear love of the marque, and co-hosts that know how to pace a podcast (as long as you can hear them). I've learned more about BMW, new technologies and the trajectory of the company since listening, and also gained an appreciation for where my pedestrian 3-series sits in the Bimmer universe. The website has way more info that I can take in at one time, but it's pretty enjoyable when all you want is BMW.

No comments: